Suggestions for Reflection Quiz #12013-2014
The first Reflection quiz will be on Wednesday, September 4. The quiz
could be as long as three pages (i.e., three sides of paper). Be ready
to think and diagram. Students can expect the
following concepts, skills, and problem-types to be assessed on this
- An understanding of the line of sight principle and
its importance to viewing an object or an image of an object.
Line of Sight Principle
- An understanding of the law of reflection and an
ability to apply it to an understanding of how light reflects off
surfaces (and especially plane mirror surfaces) to form images.
Law of Reflection
- An understanding of what an image
is and of how it is formed by reflected light.
is an Image? || Why
an Image is
- An ability to locate the image of an object in a
plane mirror and to use a ray diagram to illustrate how an individual
at a given location can view the image.
Images of Objects || Constructing
- An ability to demonstrate by means of a ray diagram
what portion of a plane mirror would be required to view the image of
the Portion of Mirror Needed to View an Object
- Distinguish between diffuse and regular reflection,
to explain the cause of each, and to give an application of each.
and Regular Reflection
- (Possibly) An ability to analyze right angle mirror
systems and other multiple mirror systems in order to determine the
image location and to construct ray diagrams depicting the path of
light from object to eye.
Angle Mirrors || Multiple
- An understanding of the nature and the role of laboratory
experiments in the generation of scientific knowledge and